Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Beauty of A Circle

In the last month I've seen two professional tattoo artists get banned from both Facebook and Instagram for their sharing of post mastectomy, scarred breasts with newly inked artwork or areolas DESPITE both company's policies supporting the sharing of such images. Needless to say it's an outrage and it hits close to home.
The progression of a recontructed breast is something not only painful...but in the end...quite beautiful. In no way do tattoos take away the pain we endure as breast cancer patients/survivors/whatever you call yourself. BUT...it most certainly does in every possible way give an individual some control and power back over what was taken against our choosing. 
My tattoos were my choice. My tattooes gave me an ability to see something that was taken away from me...something I desperately wanted to see again. Not everyone has to want or need this but by all means...everyone should support my and every other human beings right to have this and to share this option.
Nipple/Areolar tattoos are a wonderul gift - created by talented professionals and artists like Beth Fairchild and Amy Black (and many others). 
Stop shaming the nipple and in turn shaming the woman. 
We are human. 
It's just a 2 inch circle.
Get over it.
If these images offend you...my dear, you have bigger issues.





The look on my face says it all.  This is the very moment I first saw what a tattoo could do for me.
I was absolutely speechless.  Overcome with relief.  Filled with awe.
Grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Well put, if I didn't depend on the support I get from fellow metsers in closed groups on FB, I'd close my account. Hmmm, maybe I still can if I can get them to migrate to Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely know that feeling. It's a great venue for support. Sadly others use it as a means to hurt and target people and populations. Thanks for reading and for your comment Sharon! xo Melissa

      Delete