Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Breast Surgeon

04-16-13

It's been three weeks since I first saw my primary care physician to mention the lump I had found.  Today was my first meeting with the breast surgeon.  My husband has worked with her before so I'm confident that his recommendation wouldn't come without good reason.  After checking in and doing more paperwork we are called back to a nice room.  Both Dale and I are pretty nervous.  He has a pad of paper with his pen, ready to write his questions and acquire the answers.  

Dr. Chiantella walks into the room and greets us.  Me for the first time and Dale well they've met as I said.  Dale is a surgical tech and works with lots of different doctors.  He likes this one for me.  She reviewed all my films prior to coming into the room.  She had seen and read the lab results.  

As we began to talk she asked me to describe what had been going on...how I discovered the lump, etc.  Then she went on to tell me she had no idea, no reason or explanation as to why this was happening to me.  Nothing in my history or anything I'd ever done would point to a cause.  

First, we need to get an MRI. She asked me when my last menstrual cycle was.  It was almost a month ago. I was probably going to have it again in a week or two.  I had an MRI scheduled in two days already.  But she tells me to cancel the appointment and wait until I get my period.  She explains it's better to do so in order for the MRI to get a more accurate read.  The swelling that can happen before your period can apparently interfere or skew the reading/results.  So I cancel my appointment.

I also decide that when I do get the MRI I will get it done in Reston, rather than Fairfax because it's more convenient and they are connected to her office so she'll get there results immediately.  

We discuss treatment likelihoods, but nothing is for certain until the MRI is done.  Odds are a large portion of my right breast will need to be removed.  I realize I'm not quite ready to hear that.  She even mentions a complete mastectomy depending on how things look.  Even plastic surgery to even the left one out with the right if nothing is wrong with the left.  So far nothing appears to be happening in the left breast or lymph nodes.  She mentions radiation but says that because my cancer cells still have HER receptors that I will probably not need chemotherapy.  This was a good sign she said.

She asks about doing genetic testing for the breast cancer gene and I know I want to take the test.  It's so easy, just a mouth wash with scope and you spit in a cup.  Then it goes to the lab and they tell you if you have it or not.  I think it's a great idea and I go ahead and do it.

Now we are supposed to just wait until we can get the MRI.  I also need to get an authorization form the insurance company for the MRI, which she tells me she'll call me with when she gets it.  I am out of questions...still numb, not sure what I'm thinking really.

We leave.  I guess it was a good visit.  I liked the doctor and I felt paid attention to.  That was important to me.

Now we wait some more.  I've never wanted my period to arrive so soon as I do now!  Let's get this show on the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment